How do I transfer or terminate service?

Western Water Company Rules Section IX states Change of Occupancy and Termination of Service

A. Not less than (1) week's notice must be given in writing, to the Company, to discontinue service or to change occupancy or ownership.
B. The outgoing member shall be responsible for all charges up to the time specified in the written notice to discontinue service.

How do I check for a water leak?

Do not turn valve off in meter box First walk out to your meter, remove the lid and write down the current meter reading. Do not use any water in your home for three (3) to four (4) hours. After the specified amount of time has lapsed, remove the lid and write down the current reading. If the meter reading has changed the leak would be between the meter and the house. Locate your shut off valve inside your home and shut water off. If the reading has not changed open the shut off valve inside your home and repeat the same steps above to see if the leak is inside. After opening the shut off valve inside, if the meter reading changes the leak would be inside your home.

If the reading has not changed, you do not have a leak. Subtract the first reading from the last and this will inform you how much water you lost during the test.

A small leak may take longer to significantly show a difference on your meter. If you are not convinced with the 3 to 4 hour tests, choose a day when no one will be at home for 10 to 12 hours. Even the smallest drip should show up during this time. If you determine a leak is present the next step is to find the location of the leak. First, look for a wet spot on the ground between the meter and your home.

If no leaks were found, a thorough inspection of your pipes, lines, connections and valves under your home or in your basement, would be the next step.

Your hot water tank could have a hole rusted in the bottom or the drain valve may be leaking. An inspection should also be made of your toilet tanks. Water can leak out by flowing over and down the overflow pipe without the tank making any noise to alert you to the problem. The toilet does not have to be running (filling back up) for this to happen. It can continue to overflow after the toilet noise has cut off. Sometimes the rubber stopper or plunger in the bottom of the tank will not seat or close properly causing the continual overflow and loss of water also inspect the chain that connects the handle lever and the rubber plunger. It may become entangled also causing the same problem. The round bobber-like float may also need bending down to shut the water off earlier before it runs over the overflow pipe. Again, there may be no audible sounds that will alert you to any of these problems in your toilet tank. Frequent inspections are recommended to avoid problems.

By following these simple steps, you should be successful in finding accurate results that could save you money.

A leak through the following diameter hole at 60 psi will result in this much wasted water per quarter.

1/4 inch = 1,181,500 gallons
1/8 inch = 296,000 gallons
1/16 inch = 74,000 gallons
1/32 inch = 18,500 gallons

Is my drinking water safe?

Water quality is the first priority at Western Water Company. Constant testing by the dedicated staff of certified operators and laboratory personnel ensure the highest standards for drinking water quality are being met at all times. The test results for 2022 show Western Water Company’s water to be of the highest quality. If you have any questions about water quality, please contact Jim Swearingen at the Water Treatment Plant, weekdays at (513)899-3211 between 8:00a.m. And 5:00p.m.

What is the source of my water?

System Percent Source
Western Water Company 57% Little Miami River Aquifer Warren County
Cincinnati Water Works 43% Ohio River and Great Miami Aquifer

Why are there contaminates in my water?

Drinking water, including bottled water, may reasonably be expected to contain at least small amounts of some contaminants. The presence of contaminants does not necessarily indicate that water poses a health risk. More information about contaminants and potential health effects can be obtained by calling the Environmental Protection Agency’s Safe Drinking Water Hotline at (800)426-4791.

What are the potential sources of contamination in my water?

The sources of drinking water both tap and bottled water includes rivers, lakes, streams, ponds, reservoirs, springs, and wells. As water travels over the surfaces of the land or through the ground, it dissolves naturally occurring minerals and in some cases radioactive materials.The water can also pick up substances resulting from the presence of animals or from human activity.

Contaminants that may be present in source water include: (A) Microbial contaminants, such as viruses and bacteria, which may come from sewage treatment plants, septic systems, agricultural livestock operations and wildlife; (B) Inorganic contaminants, such as salts and metals which can be naturally occurring or result from urban storm water runoff, industrial or domestic wastewater discharges, oil and gas production, mining, or farming; (C) Pesticides and herbicides, which may come from a variety of sources such as agriculture, urban storm runoff and residential uses; (D) Organic chemical contaminants, including synthetic and volatile organic chemicals, which are by-products of industrial processes and petroleum production, and can also come from gas stations, urban storm water runoff and septic systems; (E) Radioactive contaminants, which can be naturally occurring or be the result of oil and gas production and mining activities.

In order to ensure that tap water is safe to drink, EPA prescribes regulations, which limit the amount of certain contaminants in water provided by public water systems. FDA regulations establish limits for contaminants in bottled water which must provide the same protection for public health.

What is susceptibility analysis?

The aquifer that supplies drinking water to Western Water Company has a high susceptibility to contamination, as indicated by the presence of nitrates in the treated water in 1994 and 1996. The high susceptibility is due to the sensitive nature of the aquifer in which the drinking water wells are located. These wells are near existing potential contaminant sources which have been identified. Further nitrate testing since 1996 has indicated very low levels of nitrates in the finished water. These results are listed in this report and previous Consumer Confidence Reports, you the customer have received over the past few years. Although the aquifer is susceptible to contamination, our testing indicates nitrates are at very low levels in the finished water.  Please contact Jim Swearingen at 513-899-3211 ext. 5 if you would like more information about the assessment.

Do I need to take special precautions?

Some people may be more vulnerable to contaminants in drinking water than the general population. Immuno compromised persons such as persons with cancer undergoing chemo therapy, persons who have undergone organ transplants, people with HIV/AIDS or other immune system disorders, some elderly, and infants can be particularly at risk from infections. These people should seek advice about drinking water from their health care providers. EPA/CDC guidelines on appropriate means to lessen the risk of infection by Cryptosporidium and other microbial contaminants are available from the Safe Drinking Water Hotline at (800)426-4791.

Do our water systems meet other rules that govern our operations?

The Ohio EPA require us to test our water on a regular basis to ensure its safety. Western Water Company had no violations to report for the 2023 sampling.

What is turbidity?

Western Water Company purchases water from other water systems as explained in the source water section. Two of these are required to monitor for turbidity so we are required to show these results on our report. Turbidity does not present any risk to your health. They monitor turbidity, which is a measure of cloudiness of water, because it is a good indicator that filtration systems are functioning properly.

What are our water rates?

Meter Size
Code Number
Number of Gallons
Monthly Minimum Bill
  All water user in excess of the above minimums shall be charged at the rate of $6.00 per thousand gallons. Membership fee: $60.00

What is the hardness of my water?

On average, the hardness of the water is 7 - 10 grains.

Full Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA (not all based apply to all programs).  Remedies and complaint filing deadlines vary by program or incident.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information(e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the responsible Agency or USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint filing cust.html and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form.  To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.  Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. mail:  U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email: program.intake@usda.gov

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.



What is PFAS